A Short Explaination on Watching the Pod Casts.
The most recent Pod Cast is the one that is showing in the Pod Cast window just below.
When you click on the Pod Cast to view the video, it will play.
When it is finished playing you will see other Pod Casts that have been uploaded show up and you can scroll through them as you wish and pick from any of them to view. Most are only a few seconds long and a couple are about 2 to 3 minutes.


Live Steam Events; past and future.

In the podcast window below you will find a number of short clips from various activities. Enjoy !

FUTURE EVENTS:
Check out the Lake Shore Live Steamers web site for a current schedule of runs. www.lakeshorelivesteamers.com




Live Steam Powered Podcast

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Truck castings

Picked up a set of cast truck frames at a swap meet. I have always hesitated in purchasing a set just due to the fact that the bearing boxes are one with the frames. This puts a serious damper on the flexibility factor. There is enough meat to put in ball bearings, but that means that either the O.D. or the I.D. has to be a press fit, which removes one more factor in the flexibility department. So I set out to figure a way to use oil lite bushings and keep them from spinning in the bearing boxes.
I wanted to avoid using a pin or a bolt and after my usual "I'll just sleep on it routine." I came up with trimming the flange portion of the bushing and milling a pocket in the frame. I just drilled a 3/4" hole, milled the pocket and dropped the bushing in place. There is plenty of flexibility and the bushing won't spin.
I will drill a small oil hole in the fake bearing box cover, pack felt in the bottom of the drilled hole and drop in the bushing. This will keep the bushing well lubricated and allow for easy bushing replacement when the time comes. I am also intent on putting manual brakes on these trucks.

Besides the truck frames I picked up this year, last year I picked up a good number of cast wheels. Now I just think spoked wheels look fantastic, but on my orginal engineer's car, the wheels were steel and in just four years, I have wore a slight groove in the tread. So, I know that a set of cast iron wheels on an engineer's car won't last very long. What to do ? What to do ?

Do what the real manufactures did, put a steel tire on the cast wheel. I pulled out my 1940 machinist hand book which has all kinds of railroad standards and looked up shrink fits for steel tires on cast iron wheels and sure enough it was in there. The cast iron wheel needs to be .005 larger than the bore of the tire. I'm going to use a propane turkey broiler burner to heat the tire up and then drop the cast iron wheel into place.


So, stand by for updates of this adventure.....