A Short Explaination on Watching the Pod Casts.
The most recent Pod Cast is the one that is showing in the Pod Cast window just below.
When you click on the Pod Cast to view the video, it will play.
When it is finished playing you will see other Pod Casts that have been uploaded show up and you can scroll through them as you wish and pick from any of them to view. Most are only a few seconds long and a couple are about 2 to 3 minutes.


Live Steam Events; past and future.

In the podcast window below you will find a number of short clips from various activities. Enjoy !

FUTURE EVENTS:
Check out the Lake Shore Live Steamers web site for a current schedule of runs. www.lakeshorelivesteamers.com




Live Steam Powered Podcast

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cast iron trucks gets new shoes.

I decided to install a brake system on these trucks because there has been times when I really wished I had a little more stopping power. I went through some magazine articles, specifically the articles on the Fitchburg Northern. As some of you may be aware of, that was the first loco I built. I sold it on e-bay and shipped it out to New Mexico. Anyway, I still have most of the articles from that project and I really liked the tender's brake set up. So, for the most part, here it is.
This first pic is of the bronze ring I turned and then segmented out for the shoes. Yes, I did match the tread taper on the bore of the ring. I use J-B Weld to glue the friction material to the bronze shoe. The non-metalic friction material came from McMaster-Carr.
Here are all the brake components. It took some time to figure out the first set, but once all the dimensions were established, the second truck went fast.

Orginally, the friction material was 1" wide. I used a utility knife to score and split the material into two 1/2" widths. The material was 3/16" thick and a little stiff to bend around the contour of the wheel, but two sided tape and masking tape helped hold things in place while the epoxy cured.
The effort to apply the brakes is so minimal that you can't roll the truck by gently pulling it by the brake lever.
There are extra holes at the bottom of the hangers for springs to help keep shoes from dragging on the wheels. I know, I know, I gotta get that paint off the tires contact patch.