A Short Explaination on Watching the Pod Casts.
The most recent Pod Cast is the one that is showing in the Pod Cast window just below.
When you click on the Pod Cast to view the video, it will play.
When it is finished playing you will see other Pod Casts that have been uploaded show up and you can scroll through them as you wish and pick from any of them to view. Most are only a few seconds long and a couple are about 2 to 3 minutes.


Live Steam Events; past and future.

In the podcast window below you will find a number of short clips from various activities. Enjoy !

FUTURE EVENTS:
Check out the Lake Shore Live Steamers web site for a current schedule of runs. www.lakeshorelivesteamers.com




Live Steam Powered Podcast

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Could'a been worse...

While working on a revision to the Clishay's "tender / support vehicle" I had to remove the old coupler pockets and incorporate a spine to the car. This spine would also serve as the coupler pockets. I tried using my disc grinder but even with a 6" cut off wheel, I couldn't reach the welds holding the existing coupler pocket to the truck's bolster. So I decided to let the Bridgeport do the work. And as you can see in the pictures, it worked, and then some.
I was lucky.
During the first cut I was conventional milling on the back side of this coupler pocket. I did not have very much to clamp on. Yes, I realize that taking the truck apart would have given me more material to clamp against, but where's the fun in that ? Anyway, I was taking a good bit of material off and the end mill grabbed and sucked the whole truck up into the quill. The end mill exploded and before I could shut the motor off, it stalled. It was in back gear and that's the first time I ever heard that phase converter grunt that hard.
Other than destroying a 3/4" 4 flute end mill and contorting the truck into a very un-natural position, I fared well.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that it jacked the vise out of indication and the mill head needed swept back in on both axis.
I have to say that this is probably one of the worst crashes, second only to that big horizontal G&L I crashed back in "88". I told them not to put me on that machine...